Saturday, August 23, 2008

Willy's Smokehouse (Monterey)


Willy's Smokehouse
95 Prescott Ave
Monterey, CA 93942
-
I had pretty low expectations for this place. It is located right off Cannery Row, so I figured it would be one of those tourist places that populate the area, like Bubba Gump, El Torito, and, God help me, a place called Steinbeck's Espresso Bar. Walking into the restaurant further lowered my expectations - it looked like it was trying too hard. It was clean, there were posters of some of the more famous barbecue restaurants in America, and everyone was ridiculously friendly. Now, none of those things are necessarily bad, but they made the place seem inauthentic. (When it comes to barbecue, I much prefer the curtness of a place like Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous, where the maitre d' looked like he was deciding between seating us at a table or stabbing us repeatedly.)
-
My pulled pork sandwich, however, was very good. The meat had plenty of smoke ring and obviously was not reheated. The sandwich could have used more meat, for sure, but at least what they did give me was good. The sandwich, which was described on the menu as "Memphis-style," was topped with an "apple-jalepeƱo coleslaw." About the best thing I can say about that is it wasn't too distracting.
-
I don't ever plan to eat there again (actually I don't plan to ever go to Cannery Row again) but it was definitely worth eating there once.

No comments: