Thursday, August 14, 2008

Robins BBQ

Robin's BBQ
395 N Rosemead Blvd
Pasadena, CA, 91107


First off, sorry about the quality of the pictures. I lost my digital copies so I had to scan them in. I have been to Robin's as much as any restaurant in east Pasadena. Back in high school it seemed like every Friday night involved dinner there and a movie at one of the theaters next door (both gone now.) Back then I used to always get the barbecue chicken pizza, which was damn good but has not been on the menu for years. My standard order now is an appetizer of potato skins with tri-tip and cheddar, and a chopped pork sandwich. The potato skins are always great. I usually eat two of them, take the other two home and heat them in a blisteringly hot oven the next day. The chopped pork sandwich is very hit and miss. I have had sandwiches there that I would not feed to my dog; full of fat and obviously reheated. But I have also had sandwiches there that would easily pass for a North Carolna pork sandwich. I have no idea why they are so inconsistent.

Robins offeres four kinds of barbecue sauce, the best being their mustard sauce, which is fantastic, and a "Memphis Red Vinegar Sauce." I have never seen such a sauce in my four trips to Memphis (not that that means anything - I once tried to find Corky's, got lost, and ate at an Applebee's, which should pretty much discount any opinions I have on food for the rest of my life) but it is quite good, especially when mixed with their slaw.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I really like their corn bread! The BBQ is usually pretty good, but I couldn't tell you what I've ordered in the past. It's a good place to take Italians (or any foreigner); they get a kick out of the decor.