Friday, August 15, 2008

Phil's BBQ (San Diego)

Phil's BBQ
3750 Sports Arena Blvd
San Diego, CA, 92110


My buddy Zach lives down near San Diego, and every once in a while I head down there and we go to a barbecue joint or two. He's always up for a good food adventure. (We lived together in our early 20s and we used to go by Popeyes and KFC before every Lakers playoff game, convinced that was good luck. Although the last time we ever did that was the last time the Lakers won a title, so maybe it was.)

He had wanted to take me to Phil's for a while. We got there and there was a line out the door. He assured me it always is like that at lunchtime and that it would move quickly (it did.) I got the pulled pork sandwich. It was great, although massive. They basically put the bottom half of a bun in a styrofoam container, filled the container with pork, and then put the top half of the bun on top. It's not really feasible to eat the thing as a sandwich (I still did it to be funny, but I made a pretty big mess.) Zach got a combo of baby back ribs and boneless white chicken pieces. I didn't try the ribs but I had a piece of his chicken. It was very good, but I liked my pork more.

No comments: