Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Gus's BBQ

Gus's Barbeque
808 Fair Oaks Ave
South Pasadena, CA, 91030

I avoided going to Gus's for a few months after they re-opened with their new barbecue theme. I have never had a good meal at a barbecue restaurant that had recently opened. There was no need for me to wait - it couldn't have been any worse when they first opened. The pork was dry, the slaw had no flavor, the fries were limp, and the service was lousy (rather, I should say, the waitress was lousy; the busboy did all the work.) Also, the pulled pork is served on a ciabatta bun. I have eaten pulled pork sandwiches all over the country and I have never seen that done. There's a reason why: it is not a good match. If the pork was any good I would have just taken it out of the bun and eaten it, but it was so mediocre it didn't really matter.

No comments: