Friday, August 15, 2008

Johnny Rebs' Southern Roadhouse

Johnny Rebs'
2940 E. Chapman Avenue
Orange, CA 92869
-
On the bookcase next to my bed I keep several books that I like to read as I am trying to get to sleep, or when I can't sleep. They are all masterpieces, I have read each of them at least a dozen times, and I never get tired of them. To Kill a Mockingbird, Blood Meridian, The Sheltering Sky, The Great Gatsby, The DaVinci Code. Okay, well, maybe not that last one. The one book among them I have probably read most is Jonathan Gold's Counter Intelligence: Where to Eat in the Real Los Angeles. It is not an exaggeration to say I have read that book 25 times.
-
I had wanted to go to Johnny Rebs' from the second I read this line in Jonathan's review of the place: "Johnny Reb's is like an Alabama roadhouse somehow transported to the northern edge of Long Beach, a temple of boogie music, peanut shells, and worn plywood floors pickled in Dixie Beer." He could have written that free pints of Guinness are served all day long by Playboy Bunnies and my desire to go there still could not have been any stronger. The first time I went to the Long Beach location, though, in all my excitement, I forgot my camera
-
So I recruited a couple friends to go to the Orange location with me. We started with some Turbodogs, one my favorite beers, served with ice cold jars. I had a plate of pulled pork, a hot link, hush puppies, cole slaw and fries. My friend had pulled pork, chopped brisket, barbeque pinto beans , and fries. All of it was great. The pork itself was just about perfect, and as if that wasn't enough, they had a "North Carolina BBQ Sauce" that was the best, most authentic Eastern Carolina-style sauce I have had outside of the South.
-
If there was a Johnny Reb's closer to the San Gabriel Valley, I would probably eat there at least once a week.

No comments: