Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Memphis Bar-B-Q Company (Sacramento)


Memphis Bar-B-Q Company
455 Bercut Dr
Sacramento, CA 95814

I don't know what it is about barbecue joints with the name "Memphis" in the title, but so far I have been let down by them. One day I will make it to Memphis Minnie's in San Francisco; I hope that isn't as big a disappointment as Memphis Championship Barbecue or Memphis Bar-B-Q Company.
-
This is a pretty big restaurant, although when I went in for lunch there was only one other table occupied. I've been to lunch in Sacramento many times, and I have never seen a restaurant so empty for lunch. That should have been a sign. I asked the waiter a couple questions about the barbecue. I would have been just as informed if I had asked the silverware. He was a nice guy, but he didn't really seem to have a clue about anything, except probably the best tatoo parlors in town. (I'm not saying I needed to know the ingredients in the sauce or where they buy their pork, but asking if the meat is smoked or cooked in an oven seemed like a reasonable question.)
-
When my pulled pork sandwich arrived I took a bite of the slaw to see if I wanted to put any on my sandwich. It was good. And the fries were hot out of the fryer. The bun was fresh, too, and I had high hopes for the pork. It sucked. It was fatty, didn't tast like it had been smoked (at least not recently) and the sauce tasted metallic.
-
They definitely do not deserve to have the word Memphis in their name.

No comments: