Friday, August 15, 2008

Deschutes Brewery & Public House (Portland)


Deschutes Brewery & Public House
210 NW 11th Ave
Portland, OR, 97209

Sometimes you just get lucky. I had just spent a couple hours in my favorite place in America, Powell's City of Books in Portland. I was hungry and had planned to visit the Portland Classical Chinese Garden, so I started walking there, hoping to find a restaurant on the way. Just a couple blocks north of Powell's I came to the new Deschutes Brewery & Public House. This was not here the last time I was in Portland.
-
I am a big fan of Deschutes beers. Their Twilight Ale is a beautiful summer beer, and their Black Butte Porter, in my opinion, is one of the best beers in America. So I take a seat at the bar, order a Twilight, and look over the menu. I see a smoked pork sandwich, served "Memphis-Style with Slaw and Fried Onions with Black Butte Porter BBQ Sauce." Perfect. I order it and the bartender says "Oh, nice."
-
The sandwich arrives, and it is amazing. From the picture it looks like it's mostly onion strings (my bad), but trust me, there was lots of pork in there. Normally I prefer that my sandwiches don't have sauce on them (properly smoked pork doesn't need any sauce) but this barbecue sauce was so damn good I didn't mind. This was one of the best sandwiches I have ever had.
-
The mustard that they had in a bottle on the table was fantastic; I wish I knew what it was. I guess I could have asked the bartender, but I'm pretty lazy.

No comments: