Friday, August 15, 2008

Big Mama's Rib Shack


Big Mama's Rib Shack
1453 N Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91104

The first time I went to Big Mama's was a few years ago, with about a dozen friends for a late Sunday afternoon lunch. Nobody got barbecue, including me. I got fried catfish, which was mediocre. Nobody was really impressed with their food that day (although less impressive was the beer selection, which, as I recall, was Heineken, Bud Light, and MGD.) The one person who did like his food, however, was my friend Dave, who got a shrimp po' boy that looked really good. I said to myself that next time I ate there that's what I would get.
-
But I didn't go back for a couple years, and when I did I felt like barbecue. I ordered a chopped pork sandwich and kept my expectations low. My friend ordered the hot links. Well, they were both very good. The pork was tasty, and even though it was drenched in sauce, it was actually a pretty decent sauce. The hot links were spicy with the perfect texture.
-
The other day I was talking with my brother, though, and he said he went to Big Mama's recently and they had more of an Asian theme, including sushi, and although they still had barbecue, he said he tried it and it was awful. This sounds intriguing to me and I may go try it again.

1 comment:

TJM said...

I'm not sure how a BBQ restaurant turned Asian-themed and -owned has become intriguing to you.

Funny enough, their website lists the Pasadena location as being in "Old Town Pasadena". I never thought of the top of Lake Avenue as being "Old Town". Maybe they mean literally the old town.