Thursday, August 14, 2008

Angels vs. Yankees (New York)

I made my first pilgrimmage to Yankee Stadium for an Angels-Yankees game. Now, I love the Angels and I don't like the Yankees at all. But this was an absolutely amazing evening. I wore my Angels hat in the stadium but not on the train. Everyone in the stadium was cool to me, but it was obvious that the drunk idiots on the train after the game (especially since the Angels won) were not going to be cool, so I took the hat off.

The comments you have heard about Yankee Stadium being a special place are definitely true. From the view of the Bronx from the steep upper level, to the Miller Lites that cost more than my first car, to the feeling you get when you see Monument Park and the white frieze, and even the drunks girls stumbling around in their Jeter jerseys (and all the drunk girls I saw were wearing Jeter jerseys,) it was a great night, the kind of night that reminds you why you fell in love with baseball in the first place.

I can't believe they're tearing this place down. Are Yankees fans really okay with that? I know how upset I would be if the Angels tore down Angel Stadium, and they've only won one World Series there. (Of course, unlike the Yankees, the Angels have won a title in this century.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think any true Yankees fan is okay with the stadium being torn down. It's sad to think that such a beautiful stadium full of so much history and a bit of magic will no longer exist.