Friday, August 15, 2008

Big Nate's BBQ (San Francisco)

Big Nate's BBQ
1665 Folsom St
San Francisco, CA, 94103

I've wanted to go to Memphis Minnie's in San Francisco for years, but something has always come up. Finally I was going to San Francisco for the Emeral Bowld and I made a point of getting in early so that I could finally eat there. And they were closed for the week. The whole restaurant was closed for the week. ("The whole store got the flu.") So I went to Big Nate's.
-
I never saw Nate Thurmond play - he retired the year before I was born - but I certainly have heard my dad say what a great player he was, and that Kareen always called Nate the toughest defender he ever faced. So I wanted to like the place. But it just wasn't good.

The frustrating this is, it seems like the place could be good, with only a little effort. They got the hard stuff right - I ordered a "Memphis Pork Sandwich" and it came on a perfect soft bun. The pork had smoke ring on it and was moist. But scattered througout the pork were large pieces of fat. I probably picked out 7 of them, each the size of a dime. And, most unforgiveably, the sandwich was drenched in one of the worst barbecue sauces I have ever tasted. It tasted like thick terriyaki sauce with honey. I have never been served a sauce like that with barbecue.
-
"Authentic Southern BBQ is hard to find on the West Coast" it says on Big Nate's website. That is definitely true.

No comments: