Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Gates BBQ (Kansas City)


Last time I was in New York City I sat in the plane on the runway for five hours after landing. Around hour number three, the flight attendant announced that they were out of food and water and the toilets were at 100% capacity and "we have no idea when we will be able to deboard." It was easily one of the three least enjoyable experiences of my life (the other two were being in a coma for a week and sitting through "You Don't Mess With The Zohan.") So instead of flying back to L.A. I decided to rent a car and do a road trip (just below barbecue and baseball on the list of things I love is a good road trip.) So of course I went through Kansas City.

I had been to Arthur Bryant's years before, but I had never been to Gates. (I once had a Gates sandwich at the stand at an Angels-Royals game at Kaufman Stadium, though, and it was fantastic.) I had a smoked turkey sandwich and my friend had the hot links. We both loved it. After dinner I drove by Arthur Bryant's and took a picture anyway, just out of respect.

No comments: