Thursday, August 21, 2008

Raxx Barbecue & Brewing Co.

Raxx Barbecue & Brewing Co.
3397 Mission Inn Ave
Riverside, CA 92501

I'm always a little suspicious about trying barbecue at a place that bills itself as a brewing company. Sometimes, like Deschutes, it's actual barbecue. But more than likely it's reheated out of a package, already bathed in sauce, and slapped on a bun. (It's not barbecue if I can do the same thing at home in less than five minutes.) Thankfully, Raxx falls into the first category.
-
I started with the "Texas Egg Rolls" - pulled pork and cream cheese stuffed into a chili pepper and then a wonton wrapper and fried. That sounded awesome. It was.
-
My pulled pork sandwich was also very good, although after the pork and cream cheese I was so happy I probably could have started eating the menu and not cared. The sandwich was topped with fried onion strings and sauce (unfortunately they did not have a mustard sauce; if ever there was a sandwich crying out for a South Carolina-style mustard sauce, this was it) and I added some of my slaw to it. The shoestring fries were great, although to be honest I only ate two of them after the egg rolls and sandwich.

No comments: