Friday, September 19, 2008

The Oinkster


The Oinkster
2005 Colorado Blvd
Eagle Rock, CA 90041

I am a big fan of this place. I have never had one of their burgers, but I have had their pastrami sandwich and it is fantastic. My standard order, however, is the pulled pork sandwich. The menu claims it is "roasted and smoked." I am not sure if this is true; I have never seen any smoke ring on the pork, and it certainly tastes more like it has been roasted, but it is always good. They also have a vinegar barbecue sauce that is perfect for pork. In the second photo, I have containers of the vinegar sauce, their chipotle ketchup (which is great,) and a mustard/mayo sauce (which is not.)

The sandwich also comes with a great red cabbage slaw and some caramelized onions. The onions certainly do not contribute anything to the sandwich, but they are still tasty.

Their fries are cooked in the proper Belgian style, and are perfect as long as you eat them there. Most fries don't travel well, and these are no exception. (It's one thing to wait a few minutes to eat lousy to-go fries like Carl's Jr. or Burger King; that isn't going to make them any worse. But I wouldn't recommend messing around with these.)
-
The last picture is one I took of their pulled pork sandwich when they first opened a couple years ago. It was served on a regular bun then, as opposed to the hard roll they use now. I always say that I prefer pulled pork on a soft bun, but I have to admit a certain fondness for the roll they use now, if only because it holds up better against the flood of vinegar sauce I put on the pork (it's that good.)

No comments: