Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Buffalo Wild Wings

Buffalo Wild Wings
8188 Day Creek Blvd
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739

I'm not a huge fan of chains. I don't hate them and I understand their purpose, and I have certainly eaten scores if not hundreds of meals at chains. Once while driving around Rapid City, South Dakota, during the most amazing lightning storm I have ever seen, trying desperately to find a place to eat, I came across a Chili's and was as happy as I have ever been to find a restaurant. (A few minutes earlier my friend had said "That looks like a cute restaurant," only she was saying it about a gun store, and I knew it was time to find the first decent restaurant we came across.)

I just think it's more fun to eat at independently-owned restaurants. However, I still go to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch at least once every few months, because it's a pretty nice place (when it isn't crowded) to watch an afternoon baseball game and relax. My standard order is boneless buffalo wings with spicy garlic sauce. But they have a pulled pork sandwich on the menu and on a recent trip I ordered it.

The sandwich is described on the menu as such: "Hickory-smoked, hand-pulled pork." I suppose technically that might be true, however the pork had not been smoked or pulled any time or place proximately. It was chewy, dry (even though it had plenty of sauce on it), and basically inedible. McDonald's McRib is closer to good barbecue than this sandwich.

I was not expecting a great sandwich, and perhaps it was silly of me to be deceived by the menu description, but I was expecting something that could at least be eaten. Consider me your canary in the coal mine on this one: don't ever order this sandwich.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few reasons why the McRib should be celebrated, and perhaps even revered:

It mirrors carnal relations with "a larger woman"... i.e. you hope it's quick and minutes after finishing you're left with an angst ridden feeling of queasiness, immediately followed by a self-pledge that you'll never do that again...

There's no pretense in a McRib... it is what it is, unlike half the population of the westside...

It reminds you that life could be worse, so cheer up for McSakes!

It's not sold at the NL West Division leaders stadium...

JustinM said...

The McRib is truly a thing of beauty, although I have to admit I consider the Chipotle Angus Burger to be McDonald's piece de resistance.

Not long ago I went to the McDonald's on Colorado Blvd. by PCC, and I ducked in to Zankou Chicken next door and got a chicken tarna rap to go with my chipotle angus burger. Of course I took pictures; it was the greatest lunch I have had in years. I guess I could do a blog entry on that, even though it's off topic.

Anonymous said...

Strange bedfellows the Chicken Tarna Wrap & Chipotle Angus Burger... But we all know that's how Reese's Peanut Butter Cups were invented... That should be the name of your next blog: Strange Bedfellows.

You could toss out sets of 2 seemingly unconnected items, people, etc and discuss and/or pontificate on which set is/are the strangest bedfellows... the person who correctly identifies the SB of the day wins a gift cert for 1ea. McRib... everyone wins!

As a test of sorts I'll toss out 3 real-life SB's and see if you can identify the strangest of them all... and much like college, you must support your point of view:

SB1 - Grizzly Adams and that bear

SB2 - BJ and "The Bear" (who we all know was a chimp)

SB3 - Sunflower seeds and Ranch flavoring

SuperLarge said...

As a Large woman, I take umbrage at that statement in anonymous #1's second paragraph. *flounce*