Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Epicenter

There are definite tiers to the quality of barbecue you get at baseball games. I don't think anything can ever top the smoked turkey sandwich I got at the Gates BBQ stand at Kaufmann Stadium in Kansas City. Not only was it the best barbecue sandwich I have ever had at a stadium, it was one of the best sandwiches I have ever had anywhere. Boog's BBQ at Camden Yards was also very good. Unfortunately I did not have a digital camera back when I ate at those places (but even if I did, I wasn't obsessed with taking pictures of my food back then.) Even some minor league foods, like the pulled pork nachos at Autozone Park in Memphis, or the brisket sandwich at PGE Park in Portland, are good.

Then there is the other end of the spectrum: the crock-pot cooked, sugary-sauce drenched stuff they used to serve in my high school cafeteria. That's what I got when I ordered a pulled pork sandwich at a Quakes game. Should I have expected something different at a Class A park in Southern California? Probably not. But it was still really bad. From now on at the Epicenter I will stick to hot dogs.

No comments: