Thursday, September 18, 2008

Crocodile Cafe

Crocodile Cafe
140 S Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101

I have been eating at the "Croc" since I was in junior high. Their patio is a great place to eat, set a couple feet below street level on Lake Ave. A good friend of mine works just across the street and we try to meet for lunch at least once a month. We have gone to Smitty's and Celestino, which are both good places, however we almost always eat at Crocodile. (We always sit outside, though, because inside it is one of the loudest and least spacious restaurants in Pasadena.)

95% of the time my order has been the same - a plate of fries to start and a barbecue chicken pizza. (Their bbq chicken pizza is one of the best around.) But they do have a "slow-smoked bbq pork sandwich" on the menu, so I had to try it at least once.

It is served on a celery seed roll that adds nothing to the sandwich, but the pork is very good. There is very little fat on it, and even though they put too much sauce on it, the sauce is decent. It comes with a side of curry slaw (the first time I have ever tried that) which is good, although it had a very distinct flavor so I did not add any to the sandwich, which I normally do when slaw is served on the side.

I have been back a couple times since I got this sandwich, but I have not ordered it again, and I doubt I will. It was good, but their other items are much better.

No comments: