Friday, November 21, 2008

Frisella's Roastery

Frisella's Roastery
179 N Glendora Ave
Glendora, CA 91741
-
I had lunch with my brother in "downtown" Glendora, not far from where he lives. I have never been there so I asked him for suggestions. I don't always have to eat barbecue, believe it or not, but when it is an option I always want it. He suggested a roastery that he said he thought had barbecue.
-
I don't know what it is about downtown Glendora, but I felt like I was walking around a retirement community. Literally 9 out of every 10 people on the sidewalks and in the three restaurants we walked past had to be over the age of 75. I'm only saying this as an observation. I have nothing against old people. I loved my grandparents and when they were alive I would eat with them frequently. (This usually involved meeting another couple at Coco's at 5 for dinner. My grandmother would get there at 4 to get "settled in." It was never made clear to me exactly what that meant; apparently it had something to do with my Granny reciting every item on the menu and saying "oh, that sounds good," and my Grandad wondering what Howard Jones would do with USC Football that year, even though Jones stopped coaching the Trojans in 1940.)
-
I ordered the barbecue pork sandwich. The entrees come with homemade potato chips and a choice of one side, or you can get fries in lieu of the chips and side. I went with the chips and cole slaw. My brother got the quarter chicken with dark meat. He opted just to get the fries.
-
My sandwich was very good. I doubt the pork was smoked; it tasted much more like it had been roasted, but it was still good, although there was a little too much fat on it. The bread was fantastic. It was substantial enough not to fall apart with the sauce on it, but soft enough to melt in my mouth and not get in the way of the pork.
-
The chips were not good. They were not fresh and they were overly seasoned. The cole slaw was Smart & Final. I hate when that happens. I like Smart & Final cole slaw at a picnic or a ball game, but when I am paying for a restaurant meal, I wish they would tell me when their slaw isn't homemade. Especially considering that my brother's fries were awesome. I should have gotten those. He said his chicken was really good, and it had a smoke ring to it, but I didn't try it because I do not like dark meat chicken.
-
I liked Frisella's. It was far from a "barbecue" restaurant, but it was good, and the bill for the two of us, with my sandwich, his chicken, and a couple iced teas, was 22 bucks.

No comments: