Saturday, August 16, 2008

JR's Barbeque

JR's Barbeque
3055 South La Cienega Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232

A friend of mine who knows a lot about barbecue recommended JR's to me, so one day when I didn't have anything else to do I hopped in my Dr. Pepper ride and drove down to Culver City. I'm just kidding, that isn't my car in the picture... although I would like to drive it once.

JR's definitely reminded me of being in the South. It was dark inside (which is why the picture of my pork shoulder sandwich did not turn out very good,) the food was good, and the service was, well, Southern, i.e. friendly but not very efficient. The waitress was very flustered when more than three people showed up for lunch. It took her three attempts to get my bill correct (there was a $1 charge on there that she couldn't figure out, and it perplexed her so much that at one point she actually asked me "Now, what do you suppose that's for?" which I found quite charming, in a friendly Southern way.)

I saw a man there eating lunch with some other men who looked like the spitting image of the father of my best friend in high school. The similarities were so strong that I actually got up to walk over and say hi, but then I figured there was no way my friend's dad would be eating barbecue in Culver City at one o'clock on a Friday. So I didn't go over. A month later I was talking to my friend and mentioned that I had seen a man who looked just like his dad. He asked where and I said "JR's in Culver City."

"Yeah," said my friend, "that was my dad. He goes there for lunch with his friends every Friday."

No comments: